Cut down your fuel spending costs with the best fuel cards for small businesses
There are plenty of industry names offering fuel cards but which one is geared up for small businesses?
Here at Expert Market, we've researched and compared the top fuel cards for small businesses and discovered that Visa Fleet Card, ARCO, BP Business Solutions and MasterCard Corporate Fleet Program offer the best advantages.
The Best Fuel Cards for Small Businesses
|1||Visa Fleet Card||Best for long distance|
|2||ARCO||Best for thorough insights|
|3||BP Business Solutions||Best for growing businesses|
|4||MasterCard Corporate Fleet Program||Best for easiness on the go|
Fuel cards are famous for being the saving grace for large trucking corporations; and now small companies can benefit from their rewarding rebates, too.
A fleet card saves you money and gives you better control over your business. The best fleet cards for small businesses also grant employees greater financial security and peace of mind.
We’ve explained some of the benefits you can expect to see when you invest in a fuel card below. Or scroll down to find out more information on our top picks.
Discounts on Fuel
A fuel card rewards small businesses by offering discounts on the purchase of fuel, oil, and lubricate at certain stations. So the more often you use your card, the more savings you gain. In addition, some cards offer rewards for every dollar spent or for every gallon of fuel purchased, allowing you to earn money back or even enjoy free fuel in the future.
Less Risk of Fraud
Some businesses prefer to use a corporate card for buying fuel. Or they expect their drivers to use cash and then provide a receipt to be reimbursed. These methods mean unnecessary admin, and there’s always the risk that cash can be stolen on the road.
Fleet cards for small business are much more precise and leave much less room for fraud or error. This not only saves your business from theft and legal issues, but makes the entire transaction more convenient.
Greater Control Over Spending
A driver may seek out fuel stations that cost more. Another driver may pay a higher grade of gas than is necessary. Someone else could be overdoing it on the vehicle maintenance. These expenses stack up and could see you losing profits, rather than making them.
A fuel card for small businesses allows you to set limitations on how much is spent, where it is spent, and at what times, so you can have a tight hold on where your money is going. In addition, regular reports on these transactions allow you to keep a close eye on what’s going on in your business.
What Are The Best Fuel Cards for Small Businesses?
The best fuel cards for small businesses are:
- Visa Fleet Card: Best for long distance
- ARCO: Best for thorough insights
- BP Business Solutions: Best for growing businesses
- MasterCard Corporate Fleet Program: Best for easiness on the go
In our research, we found the best fuel cards for small businesses to be the Visa Fleet Card, the ARCO card, BP Business Solutions' cards, and the MasterCard Corporate Fleet Program. But what makes these fuel cards the best for small businesses? Let's find out.
1. Visa Fleet Card
- Set spending and transaction limits
- Limit purchase types
- Track spending by vehicle or employee
- Requires individual ID numbers for use
- Discounts not as good as branded cards
- Data capture not as in depth as branded cards
- Assigned PIN numbers for security
- Online monitoring and reporting
- Quality fuel at a fair price
- Two cards to choose from
- Issuance fee
- Fees for paper statements
3. BP Business Solutions
- Easy online account management
- Assign cards to individual drivers
- No monthly or annual fees
- Easily upgrade as business grows
- Gas stations concentrated in the East
- Doesn’t offer as much data as other cards
4. MasterCard Corporate Fleet Program
- Reduce time needed to review transactions
- Choose between driver or vehicle cards
- Over 560,000 fuel and maintenance locations
- Digital reports for viewing on the go
- Doesn’t offer as many rewards as a branded card
- Bear in mind the payment processing fees
Now you’re clued up on what the best fuel cards for small businesses are, it’s time to get a better idea of which one’s right for you.
If you click the button below, it’ll send you to a questionnaire. Once you’ve answered a couple of questions, the top suppliers for your requirements will be in touch!
Get Free Quotes
1. How Much Money Does a Fleet Card Save?
A survey held by Automotive Fleet magazine determined that by investing in a fleet card, businesses could save up to 15% on their entire fuel costs. This is not only on the price of fuel itself, but in the associated management expenses.
2. How Many Vehicles Do I Need For a Fleet Card?
There is no limitation on how many vehicles are needed to use a fleet card. Of course, the more drivers and vehicles you have, the more savings you can gain from a card. However, even a few vehicles will earn you savings over traditional corporate cards.
3. How Much Does a Fuel Card Cost For Small Fleets?
The price of fuel cards for small fleets differs from provider to provider – some require an annual fee and a card fee, while others do not.
The important thing to consider when choosing a card is your location and the different stations your card supports. This is because the price of gas you see on the sign may not be the price you’ll pay with your card. And on the flipside, going to the wrong station can mean you miss out on your promised discount!