Compare your vehicle tracking and fleet management options with our list of the top fleet management companies on the market today
The journey of running a business is rife with difficult choices. How much should you spend on x? Who should you hire to do y? And, now, which fleet management company should you enlist to help you monitor and improve your fleet operations? There are just so many out there, after all.
To help you make this decision, we’ve delved deeply into the world of fleet management and vehicle tracking, researching and analyzing the best companies on the market, and highlighting who they’re best suited to. We found Verizon Connect, for example, to be the best option for large vehicles and construction businesses, while Samsara is our top pick for fleets in the transportation industry.
Read on to learn all about our favorite fleet management companies, or, if you need a refresher, jump down to our FAQs to learn more about what a fleet management company is. Alternatively, if you’d like to receive tailored quotes directly from fleet management companies, simply answer a few questions and we’ll match you with the best companies for you right away.
1. Verizon Connect
Best for construction industry fleets
We’ll start by saying that Verizon Connect is actually an excellent all-rounder, with capabilities to suit fleets across all industries. But, considering the amount of in-depth fleet data it can gather, we’d recommend it especially to large fleets with good data handling capabilities – in particular, those belonging to construction businesses.
With a live tracking function that scored 9.4/10 in our research, Verizon’s live route data and colour-coded dashboard (green vehicles are driving, orange are idling, etc.) seriously impressed us and makes for reliable, easy-to-understand vehicle monitoring. Plus, Verizon’s real-time alerting function is the best on the market, enabling you to set up notifications for everything from vehicle diagnostics to late starts and long stops, essentially giving you full-time visibility. Just as importantly, Verizon provides a customizable dashboard that tracks your drivers’ behaviour and safety scores, making understanding and managing their bad habits – in turn, keeping them safe – easy.
- Provides a huge variety of data on your fleet
- Can schedule real-time alerts for diagnostics, driving history, speeding and so much more
- Offers simple integration with third-party satnav devices
- No installation fee
- Starting at $50 per month, Verizon Connect is more expensive than many other brands
- Typically offers a long contract period of three years, making it less attractive to newer businesses
- Only the more expensive subscriptions provide fleet maintenance information
- Only scored 6/10 in our analysis for customer support
Best for transportation industry fleets
Whether your transportation fleet carries goods or people, it’s important that your routes are optimized to get those jobs done in the fastest timeframe – saving you money and fuel. This is where Samsara’s route optimization feature comes in. After you’ve entered a series of upcoming jobs, Samsara can use traffic predictions and the average time your drivers spend at each site to automatically plan your fleet’s schedule, ordering the jobs and pencilling in departure times to plot out the most efficient day for your drivers. Handy!
Not to mention Samsara’s unique driver messaging, which helps you to quickly and safely communicate any changes directly to your drivers, and its comprehensive fuel usage reporting, which we believe to be the best on the market. Plus, Samsara also provides insightful fleet maintenance reports that give a quick view of your fleet’s overall health – keeping you informed of everything from the services and inspections your vehicles are due to the insurance that needs to be renewed.
- Live tracking at its best – data refreshes every 30 to 60 seconds, which is the quickest on the market
- Scored 10/10 for vehicle management features in our analysis
- Provides features tailored to driver safety – e.g. drivers can only access messages while their ignition is off
- Scored 7.5/10 in our cost analysis, as you get a lot of bang for your buck...
- ...but its average cost of $27 per month is more expensive than many other suppliers
- New additions to the software will need to be self-installed, which requires confidence in coding
- Promotes self-installation, whereas other suppliers provide accredited engineers
3. GPS Insight
Best for small or new businesses
GPS Insight’s key selling point is that it’s incredibly easy to use – and we can definitely vouch for that. The system’s interface is super user-friendly, making it a solid option for businesses that are new to the world of fleet management and data handling.
Having said that, GPS Insight is lacking in a few of the reporting capabilities that other suppliers boast. For example, when monitoring driver behaviour, GPS Insight looks only at stop behaviour – as opposed to the en-route speeding, braking, accelerating, and cornering that other systems can record.
The flipside of this simplicity, though, is that it gives GPS Insight a great price point. Starting at $13.95 per month, this system makes for a super affordable option. So, if you’re looking for a simple way to monitor the basics, it’s worth investigating this supplier.
- Super affordable, with prices ranging from $13.95 to $31.95 per month
- Scored 9/10 for excellent customer support in our analysis
- One of the easiest systems to use, with vehicle data, landmark configuration, maintenance management, reports, alerts, and messaging all actionable from the initial dashboard...
- ...but reporting capabilities are more basic, with less data at your disposal
- Doesn't provide fleet maintenance records
- One of the only suppliers we’ve seen to charge a fee for installation
- Offers longer contract periods of two to three years
▶ Read more: How Much Does Fleet Management Cost?
Best for fleets of cars
With an emphasis on reducing fleet costs and improving driver behavior, Quartix is an excellent option for fleets of cars – think taxicab businesses, delivery services, couriers, and more. Why? Well, Quartix’s user-friendly interface provides daily vehicle logs, packed with detailed information such as start and finish times, and active tracking – powered by Google Maps – that’s designed to help you provide your customers with well-informed ETAs. And when it comes to cabs or deliveries, giving accurate ETAs is incredibly important.
Quartix also stands out because of its unique CO2 emission reports, which estimate how much CO2 each of your vehicles is releasing. You can the use this information to pinpoint your fleet’s worst offenders and help your drivers cut down on fuel usage and wasteful behaviors (Quartix also records speed, acceleration, and braking data from each of your drivers). Ultimately, you’ll be able to build a more environmentally friendly fleet.
- Quartix's customer support is excellent, scoring 9/10 in our analysis
- Offers 12-month contracts, whereas many other brands tie you in for at least three years
- Prices are really low, ranging from $14.90 to $22.90 per month...
- ...however, the cheaper plans only offer limited reporting features
- Provides no driver messaging system, which means you'll have to find another way to send quick updates
- Doesn't offer ELD compliance
- Doesn't provide theft prevention alerts
So there you have it – our top fleet management companies are:
- Verizon Connect, which is the ideal solution for construction fleets and large vehicles
- Samsara, which provides an excellent system for fleets operating in the transportation industry
- GPS Insight, which offers the simplicity and low prices that small or new businesses may be seeking
- and Quartix, which is a solid option for fleets of cars, such as delivery services, couriers, and cabs.
If you’d like more help finding the right fleet management option for you, why not compare vehicle tracking and fleet management quotes using our quick, free, and easy service?
Simply tell us about your fleet and what you’re looking for in a provider, and we’ll match you up with the right companies for you. You’ll then receive tailored quotes from them, just for you, so you can compare and pick the right option.
What is a fleet management company?
In short, fleet management enables companies to better monitor their fleet operations by tracking the vehicles’ locations, and collating data on driver behavior, fuel usage, vehicle maintenance, route efficiency, and more. In doing so, fleet management helps you to cut costs and maximize your efficiency and productivity.
Fleet management companies provide GPS vehicle tracking devices – which are installed in each vehicle to track its location and collect data – and a software portal, through which you can check in on your vehicles’ locations and manage the data that’s collected. Usually, data is displayed in a series of dashboards that you can customize.
▶ Read more: How Does Fleet Management Work?