Both postage meters and Stamps.com can improve the efficiency of your business by helping you send mail quickly without trips to the Post Office. But which one is best for your business? We’re here to stack the two up against each other so you can find out.
First of all, let’s look at what postage meters can offer you.
What are the Key Benefits of Postage Meters?
- They reduce costs by ensuring the correct postage is applied to all mail – that means you eliminate the return risk
- They offer compatibility with USPS classes and services. This enables you to respond quickly and send mail by the service that your customer wants.
- Assess if a postage meter is right for your business with free trials.
- Manage your budget with low rental rates from as low as $19.99 a month.
What is Stamps.com Postage?
Stamps.com was the first company to be licensed by the US Postal Service (USPS). This made it possible for people to print postage straight from their PC printer.
Software connects via the internet to your Stamps.com account. You can then print postage labels from your own home or business using the devices you already have.
Once postage is attached to your mail, simply drop it into your nearest mailbox or give to your mail carrier. The postal cost is deducted from your account at no additional cost.
Key Features of Stamps.com Postage
- No additional hardware required, just use your existing PC and printer.
- Stamps.com offer a trail period of just 4 weeks – with almost immediate start up.
- Typical monthly fee of $15.99, with no binding contract or early termination fee.
- No specialist inks are required, just use your normal printer ink which is far more economical.
- Postage rate updates are automatically provided without the need for new software.
How Does Stamps.com Stack Up?
Stamps.com works in much the same way as other postage meters. It enables you to print your own postage.
Since you don’t need extra equipment and it’s easy to setup an account, it’s an ideal solution for small businesses and freelancers. With no hidden costs, it also makes budgeting easier.
So, if you’re setting up a new business and are unclear of the postal structure, Stamps.com may be for you.
Stamps.com offers free technical support with live online chat to train you in the various US postal services.
You can also streamline your business by printing addresses and postage onto envelopes in one easy step.
Stamps.com also has the ability to import your PC address book. This lets you choose multiple addresses quickly and simply.
Lastly, you won’t get caught out by postal rate increases with Stamps.com, as they automatically update the rates for you. This means that there’s no hold up to you sending mail out. There’s also no waiting around for additional software to arrive which may cost you extra.
Why is Stamps.com a Poor Choice for Big Businesses
For all the benefits that Stamps.com offers, larger businesses will benefit more from a professional postage meter. Without question.
While Stamps.com may be cheaper, it isn’t faster.
Stamps.com requires you to print out stamps and manually attach them to each and every piece of mail. For small businesses sending the occasional letter, the cost of time spent processing mail is negligible.
But for a business looking to send 250,000 brochures each month, saving time is essential. Today’s high end postage meters can process 18,000 letters per hour. That’s more than enough power to process even the busiest of mail-rooms!
Using a postage meter also offers several advantages.
Companies that post large amounts of mail will benefit from features like:
- Printed addresses
- Sealed envelopes
- Printed logos
- Options to add a promotional message
These touches can be time consuming to add on your own. Having this functionality all in one process really does save a considerable amount of time.
If affordable postage is essential, then a bulk mailing permit can be obtained for an annual fee of $200 which would bring down your postage costs. Check out our article on postage meter rental for more information.
Stamps.com is an excellent way to pay for occasional postage for any small or home business.
But for businesses that process large volumes of mail, the benefits of running a postage meter far outweigh the cheap rates of Stamps.com.