NCR used to be known as National Cash Register, back when cash registers were leading POS solutions. Times – and POS systems – have changed, and so has NCR. The Aloha POS system is NCR’s signature product for hospitality point of sale. It’s a long way from the old-fashioned cash register, and that’s a good thing for food service.
|Aloha Restaurant POS||Rating|
|Ease of Use|
|Help & Support|
|Reviewed by Expert Market:||2021/01/12|
Getting Started with the Aloha POS system
It doesn’t provide the flashiest user experience, but Aloha’s essential FOH and BOH functions are easy enough to pick up. That said, some users report having trouble setting up the system’s more complex reporting features.
It’s fortunate, then, that NCR clearly understands the challenges involved with implementing POS solutions for the first time. To ensure smooth Aloha POS integration, they’ve partnered with Hospitality Control Solutions (HCS) to offer staff training at their facilities or yours.
Aloha Restaurant POS Features
Aloha POS has an extensive range of features. Core features include:
- Front of house (FOH) terminals with order entry and payment processing
- Back of house (BOH) displays with prep instructions and special requests
- Guest management
- Takeout and delivery management
- HR and inventory controls
- Mobile device functionality
- Local and cloud installation with several layers of redundancy
- Customer engagement
- Security and theft prevention
- High degree of customization
- Extensive reporting features
Aloha Hosted Services
In addition to POS terminals, Aloha offers cloud-based “Hosted Services” that can augment your POS system and enhance your customers’ experience:
- PULSE Real-Time: Access analytics on server performance and customer behavior from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Aloha Stored Value: Gift card sales and management help new customers discover your business.
- Aloha Loyalty Program: Customize a loyalty program that keeps your customers coming back.
- Aloha Restaurant Guard: Loss prevention and scam detection can be built into your everyday workflow.
- Aloha Online Ordering: Integrate easy ordering with your existing website.
- Aloha Insight: Understand the data that drives your business.
- Customer Voice: Give your regulars the tools to evangelize for your business.
- Aloha Command Center and Network Security Services: Maximize the performance and safety of your Aloha system without compromising your sensitive data.
Click your state below to find out
In an industry where customer support is sometimes an afterthought, the Aloha POS system truly stands out by offering several modes of support. Phone support is available seven days a week, 8.00am to midnight. Aloha technicians are also available on-call during regular business hours for on-site troubleshooting.
Aloha’s ‘Depot Service’ also deserves mention. With Depot Service, NCR provides same-day shipment of new or replacement hardware, equipment rentals, asset management, installation, and setup. Given that hardware issues tend to affect users of any POS system over time, same-day delivery of replacement modules can be a lifesaver.
Plans and Pricing
Because each restaurant is different, no two installations are the same. This makes it difficult to generalize about Aloha POS system prices. On top of equipment costs, there are fees for software, installation, training, and licensing. You can request a custom quote to determine the scale and cost of your establishment’s install.
Case Study: Newk's Eatery
When Newk’s Eatery first opened in 2004, they could scarcely have imagined that they would be a chain with more than 100 locations in 14 states by 2019. Newk’s credits Aloha as a key component in that expansion, as well as a valued partner, noting their help with day-to-day operational concerns and customizing systems to keep up with the needs of a rapidly-expanding chain.
Aloha Restaurant POS: The Verdict
Few in the tech space can boast a 130-year history. The Aloha POS hasn’t been around for quite that long, but its parent company has. NCR draws on its experience to deliver a top-notch hospitality solution. Whether you’re running a take-out pizza parlor or a high-end bistro, the Aloha POS system has a configuration to manage all your touchpoints. This is hardly the only hospitality solution available, but it should be on your shortlist.