To run a successful food truck, you need more than just a dream, a killer taco recipe and a chic van: you need a POS system.
But hey, you already know that, right? That’s why you’re here after all.
You need a POS system, and you need one that is lean in more ways than one. It needs to take up as little room as possible (you’re already cooking in what is effectively a closet, after all), and it needs to be quick and simple to use.
Small, quick and simple, you say. Oh, and affordable too? Absolutely!.
We’ve scrutinized and compared the top POS systems on the market to find the best POS systems for food trucks. Let’s take a look at our top five:
What’s on this page?
Best POS Systems for Food Trucks
The best POS systems for food trucks are: Touchbistro, Shopkeep, Nobly POS, Lavu and Revel.
|TouchBistro||Best for innovative features that add value||Read Review|
|Shopkeep||Best customer-rated POS||Read Review|
|Nobly POS||Best affordable POS system||Read Review|
|Lavu||Best for reports you’ll actually use||Read Review|
|Revel||Best for trucks that travel||Read Review|
Best for innovative features that add value
In a situation where space matters, an iPad POS system makes perfect sense. TouchBistro is an award-winning iPad POS system that integrates as seamlessly into a food truck as it would a bricks and mortar restaurant. That’s to say, very.
TouchBistro doesn’t just look great – it delivers real results. Upselling prompts help you increase check size, while the innovative self-service setting allows customers to place their own order during busy times, leaving more hands on deck to get orders out quickly. The CRM capabilities also help you to keep in touch with customers and gain repeat business.
TouchBistro will also crunch the numbers to find your most profitable items, and how you should be spending your time – something we bet you won’t fancy doing yourself after a busy day of cooking in a hot van. License packages start at $69/month.
- Get up and running with just an iPad, payment portal and license – no need for bulky or costly hardware
- 24/7 customer support over phone and email
- Self-service setting allows customers to serve themselves during busy periods
- CRM capabilities enable you to keep in touch with customers and encourage repeat business
- Crunch the numbers to find out what’s making you money, and what should be left behind
- No Wi-Fi? No worries – TouchBistro can run offline from anywhere
- Some reviews complain the program is prone to small glitches
Best customer-rated POS
Shopkeep is the best customer-rated POS system on this list, and it’s easy to see why. Like TouchBistro, ShopKeep turns your iPad into a ‘money-making machine’.
A simple interface that works quickly is Shopkeep’s recipe for making every day a success. The system will even warn you when you’re running low on ingredients, and the incredibly granular reports mean you can supersize success in the coming months and years. It will help you fine tune your menu and spot your busiest periods, so you know when you’ll need more staff.
ShopKeep’s onboarding is as quick and simple as their software; there’s same day shipping for any hardware, plus 60 days of free training from a ShopKeep expert to get you started. License packages start from $69/month.
- Customers just can’t get enough of ShopKeep; it’s rated ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot with a score of 9.3/1. Impressive!
- 24/7 customer support and plenty of onboarding support to get you up and running in no time
- Free ShopKeep app lets you keep track of everything on the go
- A whole host of excellent reporting features to fine-tune your decisions going forward
- Unlike the other providers on this list, they don’t have dedicated resources/features for food trucks (although they do offer a free consultation for food truck vendors)
3. Nobly POS
Best affordable POS system
Nobly is another POS system that’s very well-liked by customers, earning an impressive Trustpilot rating of 8.5/10.
At $59/month (less if you pay annually), Nobly is the cheapest POS system on this list, but it’s clear that it hasn’t compromised on features; you’ll still get the same CRM, reporting and inventory management features that you’d expect from the (slightly) pricier ShopKeep and TouchBistro.
Customers praise the easy-to-use interface, as well as the thorough and caring customer service. It’s clear Nobly is providing a great, affordable service without compromise.
- Extremely well-rated by users (8.5/10 on Trustpilot)
- A very affordable POS system, with an additional discount for an annual subscription
- CRM, reporting and inventory management features
- Compact hardware to maximize space (can also be used from an iPad)
- Works offline
- While most reviews are glowing, some complain of pushy sales tactics
- Some also find the back end of the software a little tricky to navigate
Best for reports you’ll actually use
If you love data, you’ll love Lavu. If you don’t love data, you’ll love it even more.
Why? Because Lavy makes it easier than any other POS system to visualize wins and problems across all aspects of your business. We’re talking activity reports (refunds etc.), product reports, payment reports, sales reports, labor reports and order reports. That’s a lot of useful information for one little POS system.
You’d be forgiven for thinking that all this reporting would make the Lavu system a bit on the slow side. Quite the opposite, in fact: Lavu has got speedy service down to a fine art. It’ll even let you take orders from customers right the way down the line in order to maximize kitchen efficiency, and to stop people from leaving when the wait time is high.
- Did we mention the reports are pretty great?
- A proactive POS system that’s constantly updating and improving
- Great for getting down the line as quickly as possible, and preventing customer drop-off due to wait time
- With improvements and updates comes the occasional glitch and bug – that’s to be expected, but can be frustrating nonetheless
- While the vast majority of reviews are positive, some complain of unhelpful customer service
Best for trucks that travel
Revel is the priciest POS system to make the list at around $79/month for the cheapest package. However, it has the features to justify it. Plus, Revel is compatible with most hardware brands, so you won’t have to fork over the big bucks for new equipment.
Revel lets you monitor your inventory with pinpoint accuracy, right down to the last lettuce leaf. You can also integrate Quickbooks with Revel’s system to make your accounting that bit easier.
Revel’s real USP, though, is the ability to adjust your taxes based on location – very handy if you’re planning to take your truck around the country, or even the world.
Any truck owner will tell you just how important social media is for getting your brand out there. Revel’s Twitter integration makes it that bit easier to connect with your followers and let them know where you’re setting up shop for the day.
- Able to integrate with Quickbooks and adjust taxes based on location
- Compatible with most hardware types, so if you already have a printer/card swipe you can use it (although it can also work from just an iPad)
- Built-in Twitter integration to easily reach out to your followers on social media
- Advanced reporting features
- An ‘Average’ Trustpilot score, with some users complaining of poor customer service
- Most expensive POS system to make our top five list
- The reporting features are very advanced, but will likely be overkill for most food trucks
Still not sure which POS system is the best for your business? Yeah, we don’t blame you.
The truth is there’s stiff competition in the POS system market; lots of companies are supplying very good products, and for very similar prices. Without knowing the specifics of your business, it’s hard to say which will be the right option for you – there’s just no ‘clear winner’.
Fill in this short form now, and we’ll compare your requirements to find the best match for your business. It’s a quick, free, no obligation service that will save you a lot of time and research.