A vehicle tracking device is an electronic device that is usually installed somewhere around the dashboard in business vehicles.
Using GPS technology, the vehicle tracker records a variety of data, including speed, location and time, which can then be collated into a range of useful business reports to aid in fleet management.
|On This Page|
|Benefits of Vehicle Tracking|
|Advantages of Vehicle Trackers for Your Business|
|Types of Vehicle Tracking Device|
|Cloud Hosted Vehicle Trackers|
|Self Hosted Systems|
|Choosing a Vechicle Tracking Device|
What are the Benefits of a Vehicle Tracking System?
Any business that has one or more vehicles can benefit from using vehicle tracking devices. The kind of information that is recorded by the tracker depends on the device and system you opt for, but a large range of data can be obtained for a relatively low cost.
Advantages Of Vehicle Tracking Devices For Your Business
- Better awareness about how your fleet behaves outside of your premises
- Reduced costs on fuel, insurance, training and speeding tickets
- Increased profits due to increased productivity and lower downtime
- Training opportunities are easily identified
- Greater employee accountability for on the road performance
- Improved customer service
In general, the bigger the business or fleet, the better the return on investment. But small businesses with small fleets can also make huge savings and identify business improvement opportunities when using vehicle trackers.
In addition, having vehicle tracking devices installed on your fleet goes some way to help you meet your obligations under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1970 which makes employers responsible for the safety of their employees whilst at work.
Types of Vehicle Tracking Device
Most vehicle tracking solutions incur monthly charges because they use mobile networks to transmit their data. However, there are options with no ongoing costs at all, these trackers act as data receivers and are called passive vehicle trackers.
They receive data and store it on an internal hard drive, so have no need of SIM cards, software or monthly payments. Some companies say they don't charge a monthly fee, but you will need to purchase a mobile SIM card in order to use the tracker.
Other companies charge you for the tracker and installation fee but charge a low monthly cost. Alternatively, some charge very little, or nothing, for the equipment and installation, but a higher ongoing contract fee.
For very small businesses or small fleets, the ideal option may be a standalone tracker. These trackers are not connected to any power source or live-feed, instead they work on the Global Satellite Navigation System.
Although you also won't benefit from the breadth of information that more advanced tracking systems can offer, there is still a lot of benefits to be found from a simple stand alone tracker.
Passive trackers also fall into this category if you are happy to forgo the in depth reporting features of more advanced systems.
Standalone Tracker Review
- LiveViewGPS' Asset Tracker Stand Alone is a passive tracker
- It can be programmed to report every 4 or 8 hours
- The battery can last up to 4 years on 1 charge
- Service plans start from $120 annually
Cloud Hosted Vehicle Trackers
Remote hosted vehicle tracking systems tend to be one of the the cheapest options because you don't need to buy, host or maintain any software. All of your vehicles are fitted with trackers and the information is fed back to the servers at your tracking company.
They process the data and then make it available to you via a web based system. Your business has its own portal for which you get unique log in details, and you can manage your data the way you want to from within the system.
That means you can sort, export, create reports or just view your data. To get this kind of system, you usually sign up to a contract of a year or more, although some systems are pay as you go.
Remote hosted vehicle tracking systems are available in a range of options and price bands, so you can match your business needs with the solutions available.
Cloud Hosted Tracker Review
- BudgetGPS offer their full featured device for $99
- The Plug and Play device costs $125 up front but is easier to install
- Both options ar available with full cloud-hosted software for $19.99/month
- This includes 20 second live tracking, speed alerts and more
For completely contract based vehicle tracking, where the vehicle tracking devices are part of the monthly package rather than a separate purchase, expect to pay between $30 and $100 per month, per vehicle.
Self Hosted Systems
If you prefer to self host your data and not be tied into a contract with a provider, then you may want to look at self hosting.
You will need to pay for installation, set up and possibly ongoing maintenance, but you won't have to pay a monthly fee and the software always belongs to you.
The system is basically the same as remote hosted systems but you manage the whole thing.
This is a good solution for larger companies that have in-house resource to manage complex IT software but is probably inappropriate for small businesses.
Self Hosted Tracking System Review
- GPS Server's self-hosted system can be set up in 24 hours
- Owning the server means you can connect unlimited GPS trackers
- The software package includes destop and mobile applications
- No monthly fees to pay
What Kind of Vehicle Tracking Device Should I Choose?
Deciding which type of vehicle tracking system to buy for your company can be a daunting task for any business owner or manager.
Before comparing vehicle tracking devices and systems, you need to narrow down what it is you are looking for.
Consider the following questions:
- Do you want a standalone tracker or are you looking for an entire reporting system?
- Would you prefer to pay monthly or buy a system outright?
- Do you have specific reporting requirements or are you just looking for standard reports common to all businesses?
- Is your business and budget small, medium or large?
- Do you want to manage the software and reporting yourself or do you wish to outsource it?
If you're unsure of the answer to some of these questions, fill in the form at the top of the page with your basic needs and we will give you a call to figure out your best options. We can then put you in touch with the most suitable vehicle tracker suppliers in your area to compare quotes.