Skype for Business is the king of enterprise VoIP – but for how much longer?
Skype for Business Review
|Reviewed by: Expert Market||08/01/2019|
- The most intuitive user interface for a VoIP solution
- Highly interconnected video streaming and video conferencing
- Tabbed dashboard interface is easy to use
- Occasionally patchy support for the Linux version
- A few bugs, occasionally drops calls or crashes entirely
- It can be difficult to locate new contacts
In a Nutshell
Skype for Business is easy to use, has great customer support, but lacks elite call quality.
Get Free quotes
It’s easy to see why Skype for Business is so popular. Microsoft’s flagship Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) solution simplifies the way businesses communicate and collaborate. Thousands of companies rely on the software’s Office 365 and Outlook integrations. Even the word ‘Skype’ has changed the way we talk about making phone calls.
Skype was already big when Microsoft bought it for $8.5 billion in 2011, but how has the service changed since then? Is it still a good fit for small businesses? And what does Microsoft’s announcement that they’ll be replacing Skype with Microsoft Teams mean for you?
Read our Skype for Business review to find out, or complete our short form to request VoIP phone systems quotes.
Skype for Business Features
Skype for Business can do quite a few things that the free version of Skype can’t, though some features only come with the more expensive Office 365 service packages. Important ones include:
- Easy integration with Microsoft Outlook (and all Office 365 applications)
- Good security and authentication technology
- Host online meetings of up to 250 people (more than you’ll ever need!)
- Integrates seamlessly with all kinds of AV equipment – fantastic for presentations
- Great compatibility with existing PBX phone systems
- The mobile app works well, and offers core features present on the desktop versions
- Frequent updates and new features
Most small businesses sign up for Skype for Business as part of an Office 365 subscription. There are three core service levels, but only two include Skype for Business:
- Office 365 Essentials – includes Skype for Business for £3.80 per user per month (minimum one year)
- Office 365 Business Premium – includes Skype for Business for £9.40 per user per month (minimum one year)
How much you’ll pay really depends on three things:
- The number of users in your company
- The length of your contract
- Your willingness to ask questions
On that last point, it’s possible to get lower-than-advertised prices, especially if you’re a large or mid-sized company. First things first, speak to a Skype support agent on the phone. Tell them exactly how you’ll be using the software, and question their suggestions. With a bit of patience, you’ll be surprised at how much you can save.
Get Free quotes
Microsoft brings its well-oiled customer service machine to Skype for Business, and the results are superb. Skype for Business users can report any issues directly to Microsoft’s friendly customer care agents and expect to have them handled quickly and efficiently.
You can contact Microsoft customer service via text, email, over the phone, or on Skype.
Skype for Business Review Verdict
Skype for Business is a polished product that offers most features today’s business customers demand.
The software shines in tandem with Microsoft’s other productivity tools. Slick Office 365 Business integrations make it a natural fit for many business customers. It’s also a core part of most Office 365 business packages, and it works well with Outlook, PowerPoint and OneNote. You may already have it without knowing.
On the other hand, basic bugs and blips in call quality dull the shine of Skype’s excellent accessibility and integrations.
Overall, Skype for Business is great value for money, especially if you’re already an Office 365 customer.
Wondering whether Skype for Business is right for you? Requesting VoIP quotes is simple – just complete our short contact form. It’s obligation-free, and takes less than 30 seconds.
Find out more